This gmane.org article reports: ”The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 is the first-ever desktop motherboard supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month. This state-of-the-art motherboard is based on the NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset and AMD’s latest Socket AM2.”
According to LinuxBIOS, the benefits of using this bios are:
- 100% Free Software (GPL), no royalties, no license fees!
- Fast boot times (3 seconds from power-on to Linux console)
- Avoids the need for a slow, buggy, proprietary BIOS
- Runs in 32-Bit protected mode almost from the start
- Written in C, contains virtually no assembly code
- Supports a wide variety of hardware and payloads
- Further features: netboot, serial console, remote flashing, ..